WHO DO WE HELP ON HELPLINE 116 006?
victims of crime
people at risk of domestic violence
witnesses of crime
survivors (relatives) of victims of crime
people at risk of crime and violence
HOW do WE HELP ON HELPLINE 116 006?
immediate psychological help
organisational and moral support
practical advice and legal information
understanding and trust
PRINCIPLES OF OPERATION
We respect the caller’s anonymity. Calls are anonymous; the caller does not have to give his/her name (unless he/she wishes to do so). Calls are not recorded.
Providing our services free of charge
All calls to helpline 116 006 are free of charge for the caller (e.g. reverse charge calls), regardless of where the call is made from.
Consultants on our helpline are prepared to help callers at any time, day or night, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
Telephone calls are taken by consultants who have completed accredited instruction courses on providing crisis assistance by telephone and specialised training by Bílý kruh bezpečí on the issue of victims of crime and domestic violence.
VICTIMS OF CRIME
- anyone who considers themselves to be the victim of a crime, regardless of whether this crime has been reported or not, can call 116 006
- victims of various forms of violence (for example bullying, mobbing, bossing, hate crime) can call our helpline
- assistance is also intended for victims of negligent crime (for example traffic accidents)
PEOPLE AT RISK OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
- we provide crisis assistance over the telephone to people at risk of domestic violence (women, men, children) regardless of their age
- even people who simply suspect that they are victims of any form of domestic violence (physical, mental, economic, social, etc.) can call our helpline
WITNESSES OF CRIME
- witnesses of any crime, who were traumatised by the event or require psychological assistance and information about their rights and protection, can call our helpline
SURVIVORS (RELATIVES) OF VICTIMS OF CRIME
- survivors of intentional crime and negligent crime can call 116 006, and will receive fast and above-standard assistance
PEOPLE AT RISK OF CRIME AND VIOLENCE
- the operator of the line, Bílý kruh bezpečí, devotes considerable attention to prevention of crime and anyone who has reasonable suspicion that they may become a victim of crime may call the helpline and consult their situation
IMMEDIATE PSYCHOLOGICAL HELP
- the option of discreetly discussing what happened, how you feel and what you are afraid of at any time
- individual psychological and moral support taking into consideration the victim’s situation (what happened and when)
- assistance in the victim’s assimilation of a specific situation and discussion of the options for dealing with acute problems
- in the event of acute risk to life or health and if the caller consents, we can call for urgent assistance
ORGANISATIONAL AND MORAL SUPPORT
- mapping problems and creating a list of priorities leading to their resolution in each individual case
- supporting the caller’s competence
PRACTICAL ADVICE AND LEGAL INFORMATION
- practical and specific advice, for instance how to report a crime, when and where to lodge a claim for compensation of damages during criminal proceedings, how to find the support of a representative (solicitor)
- recommendation of where to obtain assistance for preparation of proposals and application of the rights of victims of crime and injured parties during criminal proceedings
- we can help explain the standing of a witness during criminal proceedings, the rights and duties of such witnesses, the phases of criminal proceedings, the possibility of protection of witnesses during criminal proceedings, etc.
UNDERSTANDING AND TRUST
- it is not easy to confide your problems to a person you do not know over the telephone, the consultants on our helpline understand a victim’s trauma, understand a victim’s, witness’s or survivor’s feelings and are not afraid to establish contact with callers.
Helpline 116 006 is a European standardised number, which is utilised by more and more EU countries, for example Austria, Germany, Denmark, Ireland, Croatia, the Netherlands and Portugal.
Bílý kruh bezpečí is the operator of the Freephone number 116 006 in the Czech Republic.
Helpline 116 006 is registered in the Czech Republic as a social service pursuant to Act No. 108/2006 Coll. on social services, as amended and supplemented: Social prevention – Crisis assistance by telephone.
The Project is being supported by the Open Society Fund Prague from the Let’s Give (Wo)men a Chanceprogramme, financed from Norway Grants. With Norway Grants, Norway contributes towards a reduction in economic and social disparity and the strengthening of mutual cooperation in Europe. It promotes, above all else, environmental protection, research and scholarships, civil society development, health care, children, gender equality and an improvement in the efficiency of justice. The Let’s Give Women a Chance programme promotes equal opportunities for women and men both in their work and personal lives as well as prevention and help for victims of domestic and gender-based violence in the Czech Republic. It is operated by the Open Society Fund Prague, which has been developing values of open society and democracy in the Czech Republic since 1992.